Monday, April 1, 2013

Countdown to BIFF 2013 (It's musical again!)

It's the first week of April - - and time to begin thinking about this year's BIFF (Bicknell International Film Festival). So how about a Best and Worst posting each week?

For the Worst, this offering from Lee Marvin comes to mind.


BIFF will bring music to the Wayne Theater this year, lots of music. The working title for this year's theme is Singin' In the Red Rocks: Bad, Bizarre and "B"

The song "Wanderin' Star" was written in 1951 by Alan J. Lerner (Lyrics) and Frederick Loewe (music) for the stage musical Paint Your Wagon.

When the movie of the musical was made in 1969, Lee Marvin was cast as prospector Ben Rumson. Marvin rejected the idea of miming to another or better singer's voice and sang all of his songs in the film. Orchestrated and arranged by Nelson Riddle, the soundtrack recording of Wanderin' Star was something of a success. In 1970 in Ireland and the United Kingdom, Lee Marvin's version was number one for three weeks (Beating out a recording of "Let It Be" by a little-known group (NOT), The Beatles). Fitting for BIFF: Wanderin' Star was so bad, it was good!

Watch later this week for a Best entry. Join in and send us your own ideas for Best and the Worst song from a musical. Add a comment here or email larrjoh@gmail.com

Lyrics to the Lerner and Loewe tune:
I was born under a wanderin' star.
I was born under a wanderin' star.

Wheels are made for rollin', mules are made to pack.
I've never seen a site that didn't look better lookin' back.

I was born under a wanderin' star.

Mud can make you prisoner and the plains can bake you dry.
Snow can burn your eyes but only people make you cry.
Home is made for comin' from, for dreams of goin' to.
Which with any luck will never come true.

I was born under a wanderin' star.
I was born under a wanderin' star.

Do I know where hell is, hell is in hell-o.
Heaven is good-bye forever it's time for me to go.

I was born under a wanderin' star, a wanderin', wanderin' star.

Mud can make you prisoner and the plains can bake you dry.
Snow can burn your eyes but only people make you cry.
Home is made for comin' from, for dreams of goin' to.
Which with any luck will never come true.

I was born under a wanderin' star.
I was born under a wanderin' star.

When I get to heaven tie me to a tree.
Or I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be.

I was born under a wanderin' star.
A wanderin', wanderin' star.

No comments: