Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Countdown to BIFF 2013 Continues . . .

Earlier this week, we got started with a candidate for the worst musical number in a movie.

Now it's time to nominate a best musical number. What is the first tune that comes to mind when you think of the best musical you've seen and heard? Our nomination is from West Side Story (1961).




'Tonight" is probably the most famous song from this classic film - - a modern version of Romeo and Juliet. It was inspired by the balcony scene (Earlier this week Jimmy Fallon and Jay Leno did a brilliant spoof of this). 

West Side Story follows star-crossed lovers Maria and Tony as they struggle to be together against all odds. Maria was played by Natalie Wood (Natalia Nikolaevea Zacharenko spoke fluent Russian), a sensational box office draw in movies of the early Sixties. Natalie's singing in West Side Story was dubbed in by Marni Nixon, and Richard Beyner's (Playing Tony) singing voice was dubbed in by Jimmy Bryant (Not to be confused with the session guitarist of the same name). The duet was reprised with a full cast version later in the production.

Remember to send us (email or add a comment here) your nominations for best and the worst musical numbers!

Note: Not all Puerto Rican's or other hispanic and latina persons are dark-skinned, but the casting and painted-on makeup in this classic movie reflects the typical unawareness and inattention of the time.

There are many great songs in West Side Story (Music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim) including America, Gee Officer Krupke, Somewhere, Cool, and the Jet Song.

Lyrics to the Duet version of Tonight:
(Maria)
Only you, you're the only thing I'll see forever
In my eyes in my words and in everything I do
Nothing else but you
Ever

(Tony)
And there's nothing for me but Maria
Every sight that I see is Maria

(Maria)
Tony, Tony

(Tony)
Always you, every thought I'll ever know
Everywhere I go you'll be

(Tony & Maria)
All the world is only you and me

(Maria)
Tonight, tonight
It all began tonight
I saw you and the world went away

Tonight, tonight
There's only you tonight
What you are, what you do, what you say

(Tony)
Today, all day I had the feeling
A miracle would happen
I know now I was right

(Tony & Maria)
For here you are
And what was just a world is a star
Tonight

Tonight, tonight
The world is full of light
With suns and moons all over the place

Tonight, tonight
The world is wild and bright
Going mad
Shooting sparks into space

Today, the world was just an address
A place for me to live in
No better than all right

But here you are
And what was just a world is a star
Tonight

Good night, good night
Sleep well and when you dream
Dream of me
Tonight

1 comment:

William L. Smith said...

Neat post. Thanks. Loved the Fallon Lena version, as well! ;-)